A DIY Science + Art STEM Activity
Engineering with “loose parts”!
WHO: You and an adult.
WHAT: Are “loose parts”?
Unstructured materials found in our everyday world including rich natural materials, household materials, office materials, and construction materials.
WHEN and WHERE: Anytime, Anywhere with adult supervision.
1. ASK: Recognize or define a problem.
2. IMAGINE: Think about different solutions and choose the best one.
3. PLAN: Design, Draw, and gather your materials.
4. CREATE: Build and model your idea.
5. IMPROVE: Figure out what works and what doesn’t then test and enhance.
Learning through Play:
Unstructured “loose parts” play gives children the freedom to explore different materials, choose different settings (with supervision) and construct imaginative, original, works without limit. There are numerous educational benefits to this form of TINKERING including:
- Problem Solving
- Fine Motor Skills
- Hand-eye Coordination
- Scientific thinking!
To find out how Full STEAM Academy integrates STEAM activities with our curriculum to enhance the learning experience go to www.FSAchildrensacademy.com.